Schedule your free Consultation 205-616-8896


What Do I Do After I’ve Been Served Divorce Papers in Alabama?

Posted by Sam P. Dixon, III | Nov 17, 2023 | 0 Comments

Divorce attorney Sam Dixon is experienced, dedicated, and professional. Call our Birmingham Law Firm to discuss your needs, goals, and desires regarding your divorce. We offer free consultations.

What do you do after you've been served divorce papers in Alabama? It's important to consult with an attorney to get advice tailored to your specific situation. Here are some steps:

Review the Papers: Carefully read through the divorce papers to understand the grounds for divorce, any claims made by your spouse, and the relief they are seeking.

Consult an Attorney: It's highly advisable to seek legal advice from an experienced family law attorney. They can help you understand your rights, obligations, and potential outcomes. 

Respond Within the Timeframe: In Alabama, you typically have a certain amount of time to respond to the divorce papers. Failing to respond within the specified timeframe may result in a default judgment against you. Make sure to comply with the court's deadlines.

Prepare Your Response: Work with your attorney to prepare a response to the divorce papers. This may include admitting or denying the allegations made by your spouse and presenting your own claims or defenses.

Financial Disclosures: In many divorce cases, both parties are required to provide financial information. Ensure that you comply with any requests for financial disclosures. This information is crucial in determining issues like spousal support, child support, and property division.

Negotiation or Mediation: Depending on your circumstances, you might explore alternative dispute resolution methods such as negotiation or mediation to try to reach an agreement with your spouse outside of court. This can be more cost-effective and less adversarial than a court battle.

Attend Court Hearings: Be prepared to attend court hearings as scheduled. Your attorney will guide you on what to expect and how to conduct yourself during these proceedings.

Temporary Orders: If necessary, you may seek temporary orders regarding issues like child custody, support, and use of marital property while the divorce is pending.

Remember, every divorce case is unique, and the specific steps you need to take will depend on your individual circumstances. Consult with a legal professional to get advice tailored to your situation. Birmingham divorce attorney Sam Dixon is here to guide you through these stressful times with proven methods of success involving strategy, negotiation tactics and mediation experience, depositions, motion practice, skillful litigation techniques and much more.

About the Author

Sam P. Dixon, III

Mr. Sam P. Dixon, III was born in Mobile, Alabama. The great-grandson of the Alabama Governor, Frank Dixon, Sam has come from a long family history of politics and the legal profession. Mr. Dixon always admired and respected the legal profession and aspired to help people obtain justice and fairn...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

My Case

Log in to view documents, court dates, and make payments. Log In

Dixon Law LLC
205-414-7400 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm